If yesterday is any indication, it's only a matter of time before we see a 16-seed slay the Las Vegas odds and defeat an all-mighty 1-seed. The lowly Southern Jaguars came close to reaching the "March Madness Mountain Top" yesterday by almost clipping the Gonzaga Bulldogs. With Gonzaga's escape, the chance of capturing that elusive March Miracle is still out there waiting for the most worthy underdog to seize the moment.
Can the Hilltoppers be the team to plant their flag at the peak of the mountain top and be remembered for pulling off the unthinkable? We'll find out at 8:50 central standard time tonight when the ball is tipped in the air inside the Sprint Center at Kansas City, Missouri.
Though, with any miracle you need the proper ingredients and scenarios to play out in your favor and I have that list right here!
KEYS TO A HILLTOPPER MIRACLE
- Send referees red towels with complimentary mints, it adds a nice touch of sincerity and blatant favoritism.
- Get Kansas big man Jeff Withey in foul trouble early via aggression on offense.
- Keep George Fant out of foul trouble early.
- When facing a deficit, Big Red challenges the Jayhawk to a "dance-off" to establish dominance, superiority, and regain momentum.
- Crook needs to penetrate, dish, and be accurate with his mid-range jumper. In other words, Jamal just needs to be Jamal.
- Keep defensive pressure on Elijah Johnson, he'll likely turn the ball over with an assist to turnover ratio of just 1.5.
- Teeng Akol can't shoot illicit 3-pointers from study hall.
- The Price Must Be Right! T.J. needs to bring his A-game by unleashing accurate 3-point shooting and he needs to drive the lane which will create his own shot and draw fouls.
- Watch out for Naadir Tharpe, a quality bench player for the Jayhawks who has nearly a 2.5 assist to turnover ratio.
- There is a player on Kansas named Perry Ellis and no, he is not the fashion designer. This Perry Ellis averages 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game.
- WE NEED BUCKETS FROM NO BUCKETS!! Brandon Harris is coming off a phenomenal shooting performance at the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, we need an encore.
There you have it, if these keys are met, the Hilltoppers will make NCAA Tournament history and the city of Bowling Green will turn into one big party! Just keep it classy and detract from torching any couches or Robert Morris gear, okay?!
Sing a-long everybody!!
"All we need is a miracle, all we need is W-K-U!!!"